Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Yum: Grilled Eel, Cheesecake Brownies

No, I didn't eat these together...But I figured I'd explain more about my eel adventure and share with you all a delicious, super easy and attractive dessert.

First, the eel: I purchased it pre-grilled and frozen from a local Korean supermarket. All I had to do was boil it in its plastic package for about 10 minutes and mmmmm, it came out really well. I served it with a side of jasmine rice (thank goodness for my $12 CVS rice maker) topped with frozen peas and flavored with soy sauce.

Sadly, I didn't take a photo of the meal -- a norm for me -- because I was so hungry that I forgot! I took a picture of the package (upside down) in water though. What you can't see is that 'rice wine' is misspelled as 'bice wine' on the wrapper, and the serving size is miscalculated in the nutrition facts. Oddly enough, I think this gave me more hope for the food. I can't read Korean, but assuming that is the native language of whoever produced this food made me hopeful that it would be at least a little bit authentic tasting. Then again, maybe I should have just assumed it was the work of careless people and been wary of its quality...But hey, I lived, and it was tasty, so it's all good. :)

Second, you should run out and make these wonderful cheesecake brownies. They have been a favorite treat of mine ever since I first tasted them about four or five years ago. This version, adapted from AllRecipes.com, can easily be whipped up within an hour or two.

Ingredients:
--1 package of cream cheese (8 oz)
--1 egg
--1/3 cup white sugar
--1 box of brownies mix (19.8 oz) [and ingredients necessary to make mix per-manufacturer's instructions...probably vegetable oil and eggs]

First, prepare the brownie mix as directed on the box. Pour about 3/4 of the mix into a greased pan.

Then, combine egg, sugar and cream cheese. Beat until smooth. This is easiest with an electric mixer, but can be done (vigorously) by hand.

Spoon cream cheese mixture onto brownie mix in the pan. Then top with the remaining brownie mix, and swirl together with a skewer or fork.

Bake according to manufacturer's instructions. Brownies are ready when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Thanfully, these brownies look as good as they taste and are practically foolproof. Let them cool, cut them up and share them with friends. My housemates and coworkers liked them, and I think people around you will too. Enjoy.

3 comments:

ABC said...

Yummy Yummy Yummy~
I am so hungry now! :)

Thanks for sharing!


xoxo
VT

mayaari said...

those cheesecake brownies look awesome!

i gave you an award :) go check it out!

Ahleessa said...

Hrmmm~ I'm hungry now... lol~ It looks so delicious! :)

To answer your question, I just searched online how to make stuffed animals from crochet. The key word is "amigurumi." I wish I could tell you where I found the pattern, but I can't. The pattern I got long time ago. Sorry!