Sunday, February 22, 2009

MAC Hello Kitty Swatches...for my Mama?

In recent years, my mom has become a major Hello Kitty fan. (Just go with it, lol.) So I'd love to get her something from the new MAC HK collection, which I checked out in-store for the first time yesterday.


I think I'm going to go with a lip product because she'll probably use that the most. I was considering accessories but didn't see anything that seemed irreplaceable, especially since she has no special love for MAC so getting their compact versus a regular Sanrio one wouldn't make a difference to her. High-quality HK cosmetics aren't easy to come by, however, since most are made for 5-year-olds!

The question is what to get. The collection is so playfully (and appropriately) bold that nothing jumps out at me off that bat as fitting my mom. Shimmer is okay but globs of sparkles will look too immature and not flatter her. She doesn't wear neon pink, instead favoring more demure colors appropriate for a middle-aged woman. She has rosy fair skin and light blue eyes.

I'm leaning toward one of the lipglasses -- possibly Mimmy or Sweet Strawberry. Mimmy would be great to layer over lipstick, but since my mom is often on-the-go I don't know that she'd take the time for the two-step application process.

Sweet Strawberry could work since it deposits color, but I don't know how the berry shade would look on her. I look good in berries so that's a somewhat promising sign, however, my mom has red hair and tends to wear red lipstick whereas I have light brown hair.

Hmm...guess I'll go back to the store and try those two specifically on my own lips, and make a decision. Better do it fast, since some of the HK products are already sold out online!

Any ideas for what to get my mom from this collection?

3 comments:

mayaari said...

mimmy works well alone, though it gets a little sticky...cute-ster's shimmer is really subtle so I don't think it would be too much for your mom. I hear the TLCs are a surprise winner for this collection and I'm thinking about going back to pick one up =P as long as they still have some in stock...

Digital Angel said...

If she doesn't like too much lipstick, I would get cutester, I also got this one and it's very natural, almost look like lipgloss color. If she likes lipstick, I think fresh brew is pretty, but I guess it depends on ur mom's skin tone and hair color :)

ABC said...

You are such a sweetie. Thanks for giving me this award! :)

Love reading your posts too!